The Clonakilty Flood Relief Scheme is designed to protect the town of Clonakilty from fluvial flooding from the Ballyhalwick River, the River Fealge, the Cappeen Stream and the Garage Stream along with tidal flooding from Clonakilty Bay.
The works are comprised of two main elements which include a flood storage area upstream of the town to protect against fluvial flooding and new flood defence walls from Emmet Square to the Croppy Road to protect against tidal flooding.
The Scheme is currently under construction. Ward and Burke Construction Ltd were appointed to carry out the Scheme Works on 23 February 2018.
As the construction of the scheme progresses, periodic updates will be provided that describe upcoming works and road closures. These can be downloaded via the links below:
- Notification of Works – Week Commencing 16th September 2019
- Notification of Works – Week Commencing 2nd September 2019
- Notification of Works – Week Commencing 19th August 2019
- Kent Street Closure – Shuttle Bus Arrangements
- Alternative parking during closure of Kent Street and Car Park – Information Note
- Information Leaflet Nr. 13 – 13.05.2019
- Closure of Kent Street and Car Park – Information Note
- Information Leaflet Nr 12- 29.01.2019
- Information Leaflet Nr. 11- 28.11.2018
- Information Leaflet Nr. 10 – 16.11.2018
- Information leaflet Nr. 9 – 17.10.2018
- Information Leaflet Nr. 8 – 10.09.2018
- Information Leaflet Nr. 5 – 3.08.2018
- Information Leaflet Nr. 4 – 17.07.2018
- Ring Road Closure information
- Information Leaflet Nr. 3 – 11.05.2018
- Information Leaflet Nr. 2 – 16.04.2018
Public Information Clinics.
The Senior Resident Engineer holds regular Public Information Clinics in O’Donovan’s Hotel on Pearse Street in Clonakilty. Upcoming sessions are scheduled as follows (subject to change):
- Wednesday 26th June
- Wednesday 10th July
- Wednesday 24th July
- Wednesday 21st August
The clinics are open to all and run from 5pm to 7pm.
The Senior Resident Engineer is based on site full time and is available to answer queries from landowners or the general public. He can be contacted at 086 778 4016.
The Construction Stage is expected to last approximately 2 years.
OPW Major Flood Defence Schemes
Information on other Major Flood Defence Schemes can be found on the OPW website. Please click on the link below: